Book Review: The Fastest Way to Fall



Title: The Fastest Way to Fall
Author: Denise Williams
Publication: 11/2/2021
Genre: Romcom
My Rating: Loved it

How do I even being to convey how much I loved this book, how much the main character Britta resonated with me, how much I related to this book? 

In short: This is a book about Britta and Wes. Britta is a plus sized writer working on a article about her experience using the FitMi app, an app that focused on body confidence and health, not weight loss. Her coach is Wes, who also happens to be the CEO. 

Full synopsis from the publisher: 

Britta didn’t plan on falling for her personal trainer, and Wes didn’t plan on Britta. Plans change and it’s unclear if love, career, or both will meet them at the finish line.

Britta Colby works for a lifestyle website, and when tasked to write about her experience with a hot new body-positive fitness app that includes personal coaching, she knows it’s a major opportunity to prove she should write for the site full-time.

As CEO of the FitMi Fitness app, Wes Lawson finally has the financial security he grew up without, but despite his success, his floundering love life and complicated family situation leaves him feeling isolated and unfulfilled. He decides to get back to what he loves—coaching. Britta’s his first new client and they click immediately.

As weeks pass, she’s surprised at how much she enjoys experimenting with her exercise routine. He’s surprised at how much he looks forward to talking to her every day. They convince themselves their attraction is harmless, but when they start working out in person, Wes and Britta find it increasingly challenging to deny their chemistry and maintain a professional distance.

Wes isn’t supposed to be training clients, much less meeting with them, and Britta’s credibility will be sunk if the lifestyle site finds out she’s practically dating the fitness coach she’s reviewing. Walking away from each other is the smartest thing to do, but running side by side feels like the start of something big.

What to expect: 
*Body Positivity
*Strong, confident, smart & funny female character
*Relatable
*Slow burn, low steam romance but off the charts chemistry and banter

My thoughts:  I loved this book so much! It was funny, flirtatious and a story I related to so much. This is a slow burn romance but I loved the way it was done, establishing a bond and friendship first. Much of the writing was done through texts and chat messages. I always enjoy seeing dialogue being presented this way. As the story goes from text to in person meetings the banter and chemistry is off the charts, as is the swoon factor for Wes. He's so supportive and encouraging. There is a lot going on in his person life as well (mother dealing with addiction, unfulfilled at work and a vindictive ex) and the growth these 2 characters took over the course of the book was perfect in my opinion. 

As I mentioned before, this book resonated with me SO much. I am a plus sized woman who doesn't know a time I wasn't actively working on my health and fitness. A few years ago that journey shifted from focusing on weight loss to focusing on health and achieving fitness goals. I have never been happier with my body and what it can achieve. This book hit right at those heartstrings. I knew exactly how Britta felt when her crush wanted to be with her but not be seen with her. I knew how she felt when she crushed that first training run outside. I knew how she felt when she started to love yoga because she finally found an instructor who looked like her and helped make the class accessible for all. I also know how it feels to crush those goals you set for yourself. 

I swear this book was telling my journey. I loved it and hope you do too. 

Here is a picture of me from this past June, moments after finishing a 5k. This race was a huge accomplishment for me. My husband knew how hard I worked in preparation and showed up on the course 4 different times with signs and cheering me on. In essence he is my Wes. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Murder is a Piece of Cake

Author Interview: Frank Anthony Polito

Conflicting thoughts….